Department of Intensive Care, Christchurch Hospital
We provide an 18 bed Tertiary Intensive Care unit for:
- General Medicine
- General Surgical
- Cardiothoracic Surgical
- Spinal Injury care, (South Island & lower half of North Island)
- Paediatric patients, (long term or complex patients are transferred to
Starship Children’s Hospital, Auckland)
- We admit 1150 patients per year (including 350 Cardiac Surgical and 50 Paediatric patients).
- Of the remaining patients, 90% are emergency admissions and over 85% patients
- The Air Retrieval Service, Burwood Spinal Unit & Home ventilation Services are
also linked with Intensive Care.
A guide for Patients and Relatives:
- If you have family or a friend in Intensive Care, please see our
booklet. Also refer to the
contact us page.